Get out and enjoy northwest Montana’s most spectacular hiking. With so many trails it’s hard to pick, but any Whitefish hiking trail you choose will certainly be worth the trip.
- With unmatched views of the surrounding mountain peaks, treat yourself to a once in a lifetime experience and hike Glacier’s Highline Trail.
- One of the best family friendly hikes inside Glacier National Park, check out the roaring 40-foot Running Eagle Falls.
- Stop to smell the wildflowers that bloom in the alpine meadows along the Danny On Trail in Whitefish.
Where can I go hiking?
The Highline Trail
Located off Logan’s Pass at the summit of the Going-to-the-Sun Road, The Highline Trail is like a trek through the Alps. Offering the most stunning scenery with very little elevation gain, this moderate level hike is one of the best hikes in Glacier National Park.
- Distance: 7.6 miles one-way
- Average Time: 4 to 5 hours
- Elevation Gain: Very little
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate
- Trail Type: One-way mountain trail which winds through cliffs and steep valleys. If you are afraid of heights, avoid this trail. There are some big drop offs on the narrow mountain trail, so be prepared. Watch out for falling rocks also.
- Trailhead: Off the Going-to-the-Sun Road at Logan’s Pass.
Running Eagle Falls
An easy hike good with impressive views of a 40’waterfall, Running Eagle Falls is appropriate for all ages and skill levels. Explore one of Two Medicine’s most impressive waterfalls with a quick hike and admire the rushing turquoise waters moving over the rust red rocks, It’s a beautiful contrast and a great spot for photos.
- Distance: .6 round-trip
- Average Time: 20 minutes
- Elevation Gain: None
- Difficulty: Very easy
- Trail Type: Loop.
- Trailhead: 2-miles inside the Two Medicine entrance to Glacier National Park look for Running Eagle Falls parking area. Trail begins off parking lot.
Wander Danny On Trail on Whitefish Mountain and enjoy deep forests and alpine meadows ablaze with colorful wildflowers. On the way to the 7,000 foot summit pick some huckleberries or view some of the wildlife.
- Distance: From base to summit 5.6 miles one-way.
- Average Time of Hiking: 3 hours
- Elevation: 2,353
- Difficulty: Moderate to strenuous
- Trail Type: One-way or loop if you utilize the chair lift down the other side.
- Trailhead: From the base at Glacier Village, the trailhead begins directly off the parking area.
I am looking for a hiking guide…
One of the best ways to learn more about the local flora and fauna, as well as access more backcountry trails is to hire a hiking guide. If you are looking for an extended backcountry hike into Glacier National Park or Bob Marshall Wilderness Area you will find an abundance of outfitters in West Glacier and Whitefish.
and Travel Updates
- Horseback Riding
- Kids Activities
- Boating & Whitewater
- Guided Tours
- Golf Courses
- Gondola Rides
- Rock Climbing
- Camping & RV
- ATV Rentals & Tours
- Motorcycle Rental & Tours
- Alpine Slide
Glacier Highline Aerial Adventures
The area's newest aerial attraction. Enjoy both adult and kids ropes courses, plus new climbing wall (for 2016). Experience 47 different activities. Walk-ins or BOOK ONLINE.
|Hiking Packages view all|
|$773||Whitefish High Alpine Adventure|
|$400||Whitefish Family Adventure|
|$1306||Glacier Park & Whitefish 7 Night Adventure|
|$2035||Yellowstone, Grand Teton & Glacier|