Little Bitterroot Lake
Located in the small town of Marion, southwest of Kalispell, recreation is plentiful at Little Bitterroot Lake. Fish, swim, hike or just relax and admire the lake’s quiet beauty.
- Observe grouse, herons, Canadian geese and even bear at the Lost Trail National Wildlife Refuge.
- Drop your line near the dam on Little Bitterroot Lake and you’re sure to catch a jumbo rainbow trout.
- Pass through picturesque Pleasant Valley on your hike up Lupine Lake Trail.
What can I do at Little Bitterroot Lake?
Hike Lupine Lake Trail, fish the lake’s shallow waters from a canoe at twilight or visit the Lost Trail National Wildlife Refuge. Little Bitterroot Lake is your dream vacation spot.
- Hiking: Pick up Lupine Lake Trail where the paved road ends at Little Bitterroot Lake. The trail winds through Haskill Pass, Pleasant Valley for 9 miles ending at Lupine Lake.
- Wildlife Viewing: The Lost Trail National Wildlife Refuge consists of an expansive prairie and wetlands which are home to many unique species of plants, 100 species of birds, as well as some of Montana’s big game like grizzly bear, gray wolf and moose. Take Highway 2 to Pleasant Valley Road. After 1.3 miles, take the right fork and continue on the blacktop until reaching the graveled road; continue on the gravel road for approximately 13 miles.
- Boating: At 4.61 square miles, Bitterroot Lake is smaller in size than many of its neighboring bodies of water. It allows for all types of water craft both motorized and non-motorized.
- Fishing: With a boat ramp on the southwestern side of lake which makes for an easy launch. There is limited shore access. From a boat fish the depths around the dam area for larger fish. Kokanee, Rainbow Trout and Yellow Perch are found here.
Where is Little Bitterroot Lake?
On Highway 2, pass through Marion and turn north on FSR 538 for six miles.
When is it open?
How much does it cost?
Non-resident State Park fee $5.00.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
Montana Fish, Parks &Parks at 406- 444-3750.
Share Your Thoughts
- Coupon Book
- Specials Sign Up
- Flathead Lake
- Whitefish Lake
- Lake McDonald
- Flathead River
- Swan Lake
- Hungry Horse Res.
- Lake Koocanusa
- Kootenai River
- Thompson Lakes
- Middle Fork Flathead
- South Fork Flathead
- Ashley Lake
- Swan River
- McGregor Lake
- Tally Lake
- Stillwater Lakes
- Little Bitterroot Lake