Where can I go skiing?
Known for: An average of 300 inches of Rocky Mountain powder and a 2,353 vertical drop, Whitefish Mountain is a skiers dream. There are some beginner runs, however more than half of the mountain is geared toward intermediate and expert skiers. Night skiing is also available. There are top-notch accommodation and dining options available on the mountain.
- Location: Whitefish Mountain, 8 miles from downtown Whitefish
- Season: December 4 to April 10
- Phone: Whitefish Mountain Guest Services 406-862-1929
Known for: Set on 1000 acres of National Forest with a 1440 vertical elevation. Over 250 inches of snowfall. The longest run is 1.75 miles. Chair lifts. 15% beginner trails, 70% intermediate and 15% expert.
- Location: Lakeside, Montana just outside of Kalispell. Take Highway 93 south to Lakeside and make a right at the Blacktail Grocery onto Blacktail Road. Travel 14 miles on Blacktail Road till you hit the mountain.
- Season: November to April
- Phone: 406-844-0999
Known for: Covering 2,504 acres and featuring 10 lifts with 112 trails with an annual snow fall of over 25-feet, Fernie Alpine Resort is a world-class ski destination. Visitors will find a variety of lodging options ranging from family budget accommodations at the Wolf’s Den to luxury ski in/out at the Grizz Inn and Lizard Creek Lodge. The mountain features 5 alpine bowls and offers conditions suitable for beginners, intermediates and experts.
- Location: Located about 40 miles across the US border into Canada, Fernie Alpine Resort is only 2 hours from Kalispell.
- Season: Summer activities wrap-up September 5th and ski season begins in December.
- Phone: 1-877-333-2339
Known for: Situated on two of British Columbia’s finest towering peaks Castle Mountain covers over 3500 acres, 78 trails, 8 alpine bowls, 6 lifts and 3 terrain parks. With a summit of 7,463 feet and a vertical rise of 2,833 feet, Castle offers outstanding conditions for alpine and cross-country skiing, as well as snowboarding. On the mountain there is a choice of two accommodations, which offer upscale accommodations, as well as family friendly budget rooms and even a hostel-style dorm.
- Location: Just 1.5 hours from the US/Canadian border crossing at Roosville, Castle Mountain is easily accessible from Highway 6 and 507.
- Season: December to April.
- Phone: 1-800-ski-tons (1800-754-8667)
If you prefer trying a true backcountry experience away from resorts, try snow cat skiing. Enjoy fresh tracks in the Stillwater State Forest with Great Northern Powder Guides, the only cat skiing operation in the area.