Why should I visit West Glacier?
There isn’t much to see in tiny West Glacier village, but its location at the western gate of the park makes it essential. The block long village maintains a modest amount of small town charm, but its main purpose is as a place to stock up on supplies or get a hot meal after a day of hiking. It features a restaurant, laundry, photo supply store, gift shop, bar, post office, motel and tourist information center.
Where is West Glacier?
From Whitefish take Highway 2 toward Glacier National Park. Follow the signs.
What sort of services and amenities does West Glacier offer?
- Tours: Glacier Heli-tours, Glacier Raft Company, Glacier Northern Raft Company and Wild River Adventure’s offices are all located here. So if you’re looking for an awesome outdoor experience, you’ll find an outfitter in West Glacier.
- Lodging: There are several types of accommodation located just outside the gates of the park in West Glacier. From a small family motel to a more luxurious historic hotel, there is something for every taste and budget.
Inside the park visitors will find a variety of camping and lodging from Apgar Village to the Lake MacDonald Lodge.
On highway 2, just before passing under the railroad trestle, the historic Belton Chalet offers some great upscale food options and lodging with views of the park.
- Dining: A stop at West Glacier Restaurant is a ritual for many park visitors. Situated in the village, this home-style restaurant serves up everything from burgers and pasta to homemade pies to hungry hikers. Try the chicken fried steak - it’s a local fav.
- Supplies: In the village pick up a variety of camping supplies and sundries at the mercantile shop.
What can I do in West Glacier?
- Hiking: The top order of business in West Glacier is hiking. Located at the southwester tip of Lake MacDonald, West Glacier is home to some of the best moderate hikes in the park. MacDonald Lake Trail, Avalanche Lake Trail and Apgar Lookout all offer great moderate day hikes.
- Golfing: Interested in hitting the links? Glacier View Golf Club is also located just a few miles outside of West Glacier village.